About Distance Running Tips
We are just two guys who love to run and have 90 years combined years of experience running, racing and coaching. We are dedicated to helping you achieve your peak running fitness!
We are all about providing you with personal quality running tips and running coaching that will help you get in the best racing shape possible.
Building relationships with our athletes is important to us, so we're not some mucky muck impersonal corporate conglomerate.
About Reno Stirrat
As I mentioned Reno turned around my running and his coaching enabled me to have my peak running years at age 37... which I maintained until age 43.
This is Franc Karpo and along with Distance Running Tips running coach, Reno Stirrat, (who also has 45 plus years of experience running and racing), we've put together this web site and online running coach guide to help you achieve your peak running fitness and run your best.
I became convinced of his training methods when he turned a mutual friend of ours from a three hour marathoner into a 2:30 marathoner!
As you know a 30 minute improvement at that level is unheard of.
He can get those results for you as well, no matter what level of runner you are... 30 minute, 40 minute or 50 minute 10K runner... it doesn't matter, Reno's running coach system works for anyone, male or female.
Reno recently moved from Boston and now resides back in his in New Jersey roots with his wife Susan, (a dedicated competitive runner herself) and has two daughters, Jessie and Corrie.
Reno's Running and Coaching Accomplishments:
• He been running since 1969... over 45 years.
• New Jersey state sectional champ in cross country and the mile.
• Iona College full track scholarship.
• Iona College Freshman 10K record... 29:52 (30 plus years and still counting.)
• Competed in 5,000 and 10,000 meters; IC4A 10,000 Meter Championship, 5th place finish, personal record time - 29:40.
• Qualified for the Olympic Trials Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville, Alabama Marathon - 2:19.
• Winner Cape Cod Marathon 1989.
• In addition to winning the Southern USATF Grand Prix Master's Championship, he has won over 300 races.
• 2006 USATF New England 5K Championship - 1st 50-54 - 17:21
• 2006 USATF National Cross Country 5K Championships, Saratoga Springs, NY - 7th Senior - 16:57
• 2006 Cape Cod Marathon - 1st Senior - 2:51:58
• 2006 USATF Senior New England Grand Prix Champion
• 2007 USATF Senior New England Grand Prix Co-Champion
• 2007 Cape Cod Marathon - 1st Senior - 2:45:47 (new senior course record)
• 2009 USATF National Masters 5K Championships: 1st 55-59 - 16:45
• 2010 Boston Marathon: 1st Place 55-59 division 2:42:27
• 2011 Running Times National Ranking - 3rd Place 55-59
• 2014 USATF National Masters 10K Cross Country Championships: 2nd 60-64 - 38:50
• 2015 USATF New Jersey 5K Cross Country Championships: 1st 60-64 - 18:57
Note: With the 2:42:27, Reno became the second runner ever to crack sub 2:45 in five straight decades!
• Reno began coaching while in Marine Corps, 1974, to help marines qualify for the three mile run. He has been a personal running coach for over 35 years to runners from beginner to elite.
• Former Iona College Cross Country Coach - Coached team to NCAA Championship - 18th place finish. Numerous coached athletes qualified for NCAA Track & Field.
• Former club running coach to the Central Mass Striders - men and women.
- 5K: 14:19
- 10K: 29:39
- Half Marathon: 1:15:10
- Marathon: 2:19:00
Philosophy and Motivation
"I believe everyone deserves the opportunity to experience the benefits of training with a coach. I have been running since I was 14, and I know how much better I ran after I got a coach."
"It isn't always about running fast; sometimes it's about running slower but smarter. Someone on the outside can see what you cannot. There is nothing more important than having a caring and dedicated coach motivating you to achieve more, to go the extra step, to help you believe that you too can do it."
About Franc Karpo...
I grew up in Massachusetts, lived in Salt Lake City from 1995 to 2004, and moved back to Boston.
In 2011 I moved to Scotland to start a new life's journey wife my wife Eleni, who is also a dedicated runner.
I started running in high school in 1972, (age 16) right about the time Frank Shorter was bringing home the Gold for USA.
I need running like I need breathing. There were times in my life that when things were not going well... I always had my running. Thank God for that. Yep... therapy for the soul. :o)
Even though I love to race... the fact that I can lace up the shoes and go for a run every day is a blessing I don't take for granted.
I am fortunate that because I'm self employed, (professional magician), so I have a flexible lifestyle that gives me the opportunity to get out and lace up my running shoes every day.
I never really reached my potential until I met my business partner, running coach and good friend, Reno Stirrat.
I hooked up with Reno about when I was in my mid-thirties, and started following his running coach training system... I ran PR's in the 5K, 8K and 10K in a span of six months at age 37!
(I'm sure I would have been even faster if I was trained by him when I was younger.) I'm talking BIG chunks off my PR's. For example, for the 5K I went from 17:15 to 16:23, so now you know why I'm a believer!
My Running Stats
• 1995 New Hampshire 5K Championship - 3rd Master - 17:09
• 1996 USATF Utah 5K Championship - 3rd Master - 17:11
• 1997 Canyonlands Half Marathon (Moab, Utah) - 2nd Master - 1:18:09
• 1998 USATF Utah Grand Prix - 3rd Master
• 1999 Deseret News 10K (Salt Lake City, UT) - 1st Master - 35:00
• 2006 USATF New England 5K Championship - 3rd 50-54 - 18:10
• 2006 Bay State Marathon - Lowell, MA - 2nd Senior 50-59 - 3:11:13
• 2016 Dumfries Half Marathon - Dumfries, Scotland - 1st Senior 60-64 - 1:31:05
- 1 Mile: 4:44
- 5K: 16:23
- 10K: 34:57
- Half Marathon: 1:18:09
- Marathon: 2:54:35
For full details about personalized coaching, check out our online running coach page.